Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What a Weekend

Well, perhaps I didn't get as much done this weekend as I would have liked, but, thanks to my wonderful hubby, I was able to get a little done.  I did manage to get my daughter's dresser partially painted.  It still needs another coat or two and then the verathane and then the hardware.  Ah, me.  It will get done eventually, right?

Another on the must do before it gets cold list, brought to mind by the cooler weather recently, is make shoes for my daughter.  I could buy them, but I just can't bring myself to do so.  Since I made Jonas his first pair, I really want her first pair to be homemade.  Here's a pic of Jo's, which he graciously let Emmy wear Sunday.

I have been cleaning and throwing out tons of stuff.  I am tired of the constant clutter.  However, on Sunday I did have Justin pull something out of someone else's pile of trash and bring it home.  I am super excited about it though.  It's an old screen door.  I love it's chippy black frame.  I had hoped to use it as art over Em's dresser with a mirror in one part, cork board in another and art in the last.  But, on closer inspection, her room doesn't have the wall space I would need for it.  So, now I think that I will use it over our blue couch.  Stay tuned for the results...

And for some inspiration, instead of looking online or in magazines, I am looking around my home, focusing on the things I have that make me smile every time I see them.  Here's one of them.  I love these pictures of my grandparents.  My grandma looks so beautiful, and my grandfather, so dashing.  The one of him in the tree reading and smoking his pipe is so him.  I remember him reading three books at a time.  My grandparents played a huge role in my childhood, and I am pretty sure they are why I love all things vintage.  Anything that comes from their era, I am a sucker for.  And seeing their wedding picture reminds me of the Thanksgiving that my grandmother was in the hospital, and my grandfather was pacing whenever he wasn't with her.  It reminds me of the playful way they acted together at their 50th wedding anniversary.  And it reminds me of the incredible last moment they shared together just before he passed away.  I am so glad to have found a love like that myself, and am so thankful for their example in my life.

No comments: