Friday, March 18, 2011

She's a Little Bit Country

Spring! You can smell it outside. You can see little green shoots poking their tips up out of the ground. The sun has made an appearance or two. I am ignoring the weather man who says ominously, "It's not going to last." I love this time of year. Winters are long and hard up here, and spring and summer are times to be cherished in all of their glory.

So, with the approaching warmer weather, we're going to need to put the boots away, which means of course that Emeline is going to need more shoes. Oh, darn. So I forced myself to take the opportunity to make something pretty, something that shouts spring has sprung. They're done, and we did a little photo shoot today. Would you like to see?

Ooh, fancy.



I have this love affair with ticking. It's vintage, it's graphic. It's pretty perfect. And I love it with this pale pink silk.

Dress 'em up..
Dress 'em down...

Pose very prettily...

 I also used a new soling material for these so that she can wear them outside once she starts walking. Obviously, she won't be jumping into any spring puddles with them, but the soles are slip proof, water proof and there's a comfy couple layers of cushioning in them too.  If you sew baby shoes and are looking for outdoor soling material, this is where I got mine. It's cinch to sew with on a home machine. I have so many ideas percolating for warm weather shoes and techniques. I can't wait to get to them. For now, we will content ourselves with these. 
Ah, spring.




Tip Junkie handmade projects

12 comments:

Lisa {grey luster girl} said...

They are adorable!

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

These shoes are way to cute! :)

Erin Shakespear said...

Ack! Those are so cute! Did you use your own pattern or one you bought? I have a little 10 month old and I'd love to make her some.

I mean, what girl doesn't need mary janes with giant flowers on them? So fun!

Susan Woods said...

Thank you! Erin, I altered a pattern I bought from this store on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetpeapattern?ga_search_query=london+loafer+pattern&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

She's the same person I bought the soling material from.

The flower I fashioned myself in the same way you do a ribbon flower, only I used bias cut silk. (Bias cut fabric doesn't fray easily.) Baste one side, pull it, then roll to shape and sew the center.

Happy shoe making!

Erica said...

So cute! I wish I had a little girl to make some shoes for. I am totally inspired!

http://the-polka-dot-umbrella.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

oh I love these ones too!! And how adorable is she? I'm going to feature them one handmade features, so come grab a badge if you would like :)

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

just adorable! Love the material you used :)

Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

DARLING!!!!!I would love it if you added this to my new link party!
http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/glitters-first-linky-party_22.html

Lily said...

Oh, those are simply adorable!!

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness these are pretty much the cutest baby shoes I have ever seen!!

Unknown said...

Those are just darling!

www.DavisDomestication.blogspot.com

lisajayne365 said...

oh my goodness these are too cute, where can I order a pair?