Monday, January 30, 2012

Microwave Popcorn In a Paper Bag

I have loved popcorn as a snack my whole life. So much so that when I was a kid, I used to get popcorn makers as gifts at Christmas. (Now that I am a parent I realize this is probably because I ate so much of it that I broke the one the family had, so mom bought a new one and "gave" it to me as a gift. I hold no grudges, I was totally happy with it.)

Had we only known then what I know now. Having seen this on Pinterest, I knew immediately I had to give it a try. Microwave popcorn, in a plain old paper bag? There are a few reasons why that is AWESOME. Firstly, it's cheaper to buy bulk popcorn. But, secondly, it's a pain to get the big whirly pop out and cook it on the stove having to clean it as well as the bowl you eat the popcorn from. And thirdly, the stuff they put in microwave popcorn, the stuff that coats your mouth when you eat it? I have a friend who worked in a factory where they make this stuff, and shortly after starting, he developed "popcorn cough.". Just hearing that made me want to steer clear.

So, I gave it a try per Squaxkfox's directions and it worked fine the first time, but, the next few times I tried it I had some major burning issues. I've tweaked the method a bit and thought I would share my tips with you since, I have heard I wasn't the only one who had issues with burning.

First, I have found if you double bag, it insulates the popcorn better. So double up!

Photobucket


(Please excuse the picture quality, I am having camera issues.)

Then I though, there might be a reason why you're supposed to cook the store bought variety on its side. The popcorn has more room to spread out while it pops, cutting down on burning too!

Photobucket


Cook for 2.5 to 3 minutes, listening as always to make sure it doesn't over cook. Then enjoy! Hope that helps for those of you who had the problems I had!

Photobucket

No comments: